Western Oil Company Gas Station, 1926, Scottville, Mason County, Michigan


Scottville’s recorded history began in 1874 when the town was mapped as a station on the Pere Marquette Railroad.

It was first called Mason Center because of its location in the county. Later, it was renamed Sweetland, after James Sweetland, who built a sawmill here in 1878. Sweetland sold the mill a year later to Hiram Scott.

Scott officially platted the land in 1882 and named it after himself. It was incorporated as a village in 1889 and as a city in 1907.

Found on https://www.facebook.com/historyprizeludington?fref=nf
Share on :
Western Oil Company Gas Station, 1926, Scottville, Mason County, Michigan
Western Oil Company Gas Station, 1926, Scottville, Mason County, Michigan
Reviewed by pada mama
Published :
Rating : 4.5